Whatever else you may say about Facebook and its founder, Mark Zuckerberg, without a doubt Facebook has consistently had the best domain strategy of all Fortune 500 companies, as evidenced below:
1) the change in domain name from thefacebook.com to facebook.com early in its existence--the company dropped The from its name after purchasing the domain name facebook.com in 2005 for $200,000;
2) refusal to waste corporate assets on the new gTLDs program of ICANN--unlike Apple, Google, or Microsoft, Facebook refused to participate in the new gTLD program, knowing that dot com is and will continue to be king. Facebook has consistently shown focus and discipline in enhancing, and not diluting, its trademarked name and facebook.com domain name;
3) Vigilant protection of its trademark and domain name through legal action--here's one example--Facebook CyberSquatting Judgement: 105 Domains; 10 Domain Holders; $2.8 Million in Damages – Draft | TheDomains.com: "A federal court in California awarded Facebook $2.8 Million dollars under the Anticybersquatting Consumer Protection Act (ACPA) yesterday."
more news links below
20 May 2013
Facebook has the best domain name strategy
expVC.com Domain Name News Archive
- ► 2016 (225)
- ► 2015 (279)
- ► 2014 (335)
- Hyphenated Domain Name for Your Website?
- Ron Paul case -- "don't look a gift horse in the m...
- Dot Com vs Everything Else
- Branding - Why dot-coms are (and will continue to ...
- Why You Should Register the Domain Name Before Pub...
- New Trademark Clearinghouse - what good is it?
- National Arbitration Forum Prepares for Uniform Ra...
- Common Law Trademark - Caveat Emptor to buyers of ...
- Thousands of new top level domains -- the coming n...
- Domain Name Lesson learned
- Facebook has the best domain name strategy
- GoDaddy’s new CEO
- Domain Name Association
- Avaya Inc. Found Guilty Of Reverse Domain Name Hij...
- Domain Name Valuations
- Law firm's suit over similar domain name
- When you need a domain lawyer
- Domain Name Mistake #1
- Gleneagles row over internet domain names
- Startup Spending On A Domain Name
- Facebook wins
- Update on ICANN’s New gTLD Program
- ICANN trademark clearinghouse
- Amazon vs the Amazon
- Domain Names Business Basics
- Aereo vs FilmOn's Aero Use In Trademark dispute
- Internet Domain Name Pioneer Mike Mann Interview
- ▼ May (27)