gTLDs? ICANN's folly--seeing more and more comments like the following--
Intellectual Property Bulletin - Spring 2013: Revisiting Generic Top-Level Domains | Fenwick & West LLP - JDSupra: " . . . some companies are choosing to abandon their gTLD applications rather than pioneer this new area. While some might cite the significant economic cost and management effort in migrating business plans beyond the .com world, there may be something more fundamental going on. In short, the value of domains to businesses and other organizations may have peaked; and, in particular, the value of gTLDs may not be nearly what was anticipated in the years leading up to the gTLD introduction. Few would doubt that no matter how many gTLDs go live, .com will remain king. Prior challengers such as .pro and .mobi have failed to displace the venerable .com, and there is no reason to think any new domain will fare better. . . ." (read more at link above)
more news links below
expVC.com Domain Name News Archive
- ► 2016 (225)
- ► 2015 (279)
- ► 2014 (335)
- Using an UDRP to steal a Domain Name
- ICANN chaos coming with new domain names
- Verisign's IDN Implementation Plans
- Amazon hand registered JetCityComic.com
- Why Would Any (legitimate) Business Avoid An Inter...
- Generic TLDs, Name Collisions, Information Leakage...
- Second Thoughts on Generic Top-Level Domains
- Best Business Domain Name Tip
- Domain Name Strategy
- Verisign Find Your Custom Domain Tool
- Branding and generic domain name risky
- Trust and a New TLD Success
- Global Name Branding Challenges in the New Digital...
- Domain Name Sales Contracts
- Moscow court upholds decision to protect Mexx trad...
- Video of GoDaddy's Blake Irving
- Feds Seized 1700 Domains in 3 Years
- ▼ July (17)